In 1717 the Original No.3 Lodge met at the Apple Tree Tavern in Charles Street, Covent Garden, and around 1723 it moved to the Queen's Head, Knave's Acre. After several intermediate changes the Lodge appears to have settled down, under the title of the Lodge of Fortitude, at the Roe Buck, Oxford Street from about 1768. In 1818 it's members agreed to amalgamate with the Old Cumberland Lodge and became known by it's current name, the Lodge of Fortitude and Old Cumberland No.12.
Anthony Sayer, Gentleman, was member of the Apple Tree Tavern Lodge. On 24 June 1717 (the Feast of St. John the Baptist), at the formation of the First Premier Grand Lodge of England of Freemasons at London, the members present elected Anthony Sayer as their first Grand Master.